Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Talking points 4

This article reminded me of Delpit. The way she talks about kids being fed this image of what they should do and how they should act based on gender is something that I feel all kids go through but I've never really stopped to think about what we can do to change that. I on the other hand did not act like a typical girl when I was little I was the girl who wanted to play football with the boys instead of play with the easy bake oven my mom got me.

With children's book the way they are and the media we expose them to it is a miracle if children are able to decide for themselves how they want to be viewed and how they want to act. Why do boys have to play in dirt and be rough? And why do girls have to play with dolls and learn how to cook? what if we threw that all away?
Would our society crash and burn?

No comments:

Post a Comment